Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Intervention was not meant to be

Obviously, it was not meant to happen.

Last Wednesday I had son #2 rush me to the ER with awful stomach pains that I had been fighting all day. They admitted me with a blockage in my intestine! Ugh. Had to have an NG tube down my nose to drain the fluid/bile (sorry!) that was building up due to the blockage. I will spare any further details, but that NG tube was nasty and archaic. If you ever do have to have one, ask for the kid sized tube. After me screaming and the nurse trying twice, she finally asked for the kid size. They told me it would be "uncomfortable, but not painful," they lied. It was pure pain, and I have a fairly high pain tolerance. Anyway, 4 days in the hospital and the blockage is still unexplained. But, I'm better. Will see a Gastro doctor next month and maybe get some answers.

I do wonder if stress can cause this type of blockage. That would make sense to me.

So, son #1 did come visit in the hospital- that was a surprise! I cried when he walked in, I was so happy to see him. He cried too. Nothing really new, but we were happy to see him. He actually looked pretty good. We kept the conversation "normal."

I cried as he was getting ready to leave. I held his face in my hands, looked him in the eyes and told him that I love him so much and that I am here for him whenever he needs me. I told him that I don't EVER want him to feel alone or unloved. He cried again too.

Gosh, I didn't want to let him go.....

5 comments:

  1. What an ordeal! I hope you are feeling better! I am glad that you got to see Son #1 and also that Son #2 was able to help you when you needed it. Take special care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I've had that happen to me before! Although they knocked me out to deal with the various tubes and what not - I had to have a bowel resection - yes it is as bad as it sounds, but it's all done with a scope so no scars thankfully. But you know what helped me? Destressing, changing my diet, adding exercise, sleep and quitting smoking. I don't think you are a smoker but it has a surprising effect on your bowel. I did the bowel detox which can be found on herbdoc.com at the urging of my naturopath. I think adding naturopathy into your wellness plan is a definite must. The diet plan my dr recommended coupled with the detox has me feeling way better than I ever have before.

    Beyond that.......

    I am SO sorry you had to go through that ordeal. It is no fun to have your body quit working properly on you, especially when you are so stressed. I hope you are feeling better, and feel free to asak me any questions you might have. I know it helps to talk to other people.

    I will keep you and your family in my thoughts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gin, Syndey & Fractalmom~

    I am feeling better, went back to work this morning. Plus, my appetite is back. I was terrified to advance my diet from the soft foods in fear of having the pain and the dreaded tube down my nose again!!! Let's hope that was a one time thing.

    I definitely have fallen under the IBS umbrella for the past 10-15 years, but what's puzzling is that my eating and nutrition is at it's best right now and has been since January. I work at a weight management center and even shed 17 lbs in the past few months. It's all just healthy eating, no pills, no magic. So, this blockage was quite unexpected. I'm leaning more towards stress as the cause...

    Wow, you've been through a lot Sydney! I will contact you...

    Thanks again for listening/reading,
    ~Chai

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through. Doctors lie about pain. I pray that your body is on the way to healing. Thanks for allowing Anonymous comments. I don't want to reveal my true name, because of my own blog about my son's addiction. Thank you for reading today's post-- I do not know if my son has relapsed. Relapse is part of the process, to a degree. He's had three of them. I cannot endure a fourth one. I will have to make my son leave, and it would tear me apart. I am back to blogging, until I know more.

    Hugs,

    Debby
    www.howismyson.blogspot.com
    Oxycontin & Opiate Addiction: A Mother's Story

    ReplyDelete