Monday, August 17, 2009

51 Days

That's how many days my son has sober.

I am so proud of his efforts to stay clean. We saw him yesterday and he continues to make progress. He's opening up more and it's really noticeable how that is helping him in his recovery. He's now one of the "senior" residents at his home and is therefore called upon to help guide the newcomers. The house manager and our son have an awesome mutual respect for each other and it's a joy to see.

I am realistic about relapse. But, I'm choosing to not focus on that because #1, it hasn't happened yet and #2, it serves no purpose for me to worry about it.

I think I'm most impressed that son is very genuine about his feelings and recovery. He doesn't gloss over anything. He doesn't claim to have this licked, he knows it's life long recovery. He calls his sponsor A LOT. He prays for God to help with his obsession to use. I could go on and on...

He makes me proud and I love him so very much!

9 comments:

  1. I hope you get to add many zeros behing that 51. That's really encouraging news for everyone who has lost hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful! It sounds like he is "getting" it. He is not overly optimistic and is doing what he needs to do each day to stay sober. I am so happy for you and him. Sobriety is a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank GOD for sponsors!! i am so glad he is working a program, it is the most important thing. going to meetings isn't enough, recovery doesn't happen through osmosis, you have to work it!! awesome post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy this golden time! It is so wonderful to see the person you know come back from the drug wasteland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a blessing! Sounds as though he is digging in deep and doing the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I remember how great it felt to see my son when he went through his 30 days in-house (that's all we could afford). If only I could turn back time, and have my son back there again. He's relapsed 4 times, as you know. HOWEVER, your son could be that miracle we all pray for and he won't relapse. I pray for that, my friend.
    Hugs,
    Debby
    www.howismyson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is really nice to read this good news. thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so encouraging for me to read...I know its been a long road just for him to get to this point, let's hope and pray that "this is it". My son is back in jail as of yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hows he doing now? Any updates?

    ReplyDelete